DNA Debate Project
DNA Debate Topics
- Topic # 1: Unwanted human embryonic stem cells should be harvested for scientific research.
- Topic # 2: Genetic screening of embryos created using in-vitro fertilization should be used in order for families to implant only those with desired characteristics.
- Topic # 3: Patents should be allowed for human genes.
- Topic # 4: Just as scientists have cloned other mammals such as sheep and cats, the cloning of humans should be explored further.
- Topic # 5: The use of genetically modified organisms is a valuable and safe method of addressing the world’s agricultural needs.
- Topic # 6: Health insurance companies and potential employers should have access to the results of genetic testing done on individuals.
- Topic # 7: Gene therapy could be a reasonable and cost effective way to treat genetic disorders and should be explored further.
- Topic # 8: There should be significant compensation for individuals (and their families) whose cells and tissues become profitable medically.
- Topic #9: Having a national DNA database is a useful tool for scientists and law enforcement and poses no significant privacy issues for citizens.